As I
approach the final few weeks of my first semester of sophomore year, I cannot
help but question where my education is taking me. I have so many decisions ahead of me. I have recently switched out of the college
of engineering at the University of Michigan in order to pursue a liberal arts
degree in the field of political science and economics.
Much to my parents dismay, I dismissed the prospects of receiving my
degree, finding a six figure job, having 2.8 children and living the
quintessential American life from the day I graduated college for a much more
complicated route.
As I think about the
true gravity of my decision, many things come to my head, first and foremost
every person that has ever told me, “Do
what you love, or else you will be miserable…” surfaces, but secondly, an
article I read at the beginning of the semester hits me with a suddenly
profound meaning. Louis Menand’s
article, “Live and Learn” explores the exact problems I am faced with when
deciding on a major and dealing with the possible effects it may have on my
search for a career. As a statement of
full disclosure, I have always aligned my views regarding university with that
of a Theory 1 believer. Theory 1 states
that Society needs a mechanism for sorting out its more intelligent
members from its less intelligent ones.
Higher education is meant to funnel the most qualified people into the toughest
careers to maximize society’s efficiency.
Although I will admit, this seemed to be a somewhat cynical view; I
truly believed that it was a valid viewpoint regarding university. ![]() |
| Society's perception of a Liberal Arts Degree can be found everywhere. |
I could easily
be convinced that it some cases, a liberal arts degree could be construed as a
mere continuation of high school, only with more alcohol. Society has placed a certain stigma on the liberal arts degree, and when searched for, it is quite easy to find these biases throughout the inter-webs Likewise, this theory explains why a degree
in a specific field such as engineering, or education is oftentimes more
lucrative; it is preparing its recipient for a very specific career by
providing her or him with a very specific skillset.
If I were to look at this journey through university in a purely Theory 3 mindset, I would almost definitely still be in the College of Engineering here at Michigan, but unfortunately enough for my future salary, the first priority in my mind is doing something that I love and if a liberal arts degree does this for me, then here’s to an unspecialized liberal arts degree!
If I were to look at this journey through university in a purely Theory 3 mindset, I would almost definitely still be in the College of Engineering here at Michigan, but unfortunately enough for my future salary, the first priority in my mind is doing something that I love and if a liberal arts degree does this for me, then here’s to an unspecialized liberal arts degree!

No comments:
Post a Comment