Life events -- good or bad -- occur daily, and we do not even realize we are experiencing Machiavelli’s concept of fortuna. We live in an unpredictable world, and it is up to us to figure out how to handle and conquer the events that we are confronted with. The example of fortuna that I’m about to describe can be seen as both good and bad fortuna.
In the summer of 2001, my family and I traveled to Manila, Philippines to visit family. The first time I visited, I was only three years old and wasn’t able to remember the trip as well as this second time around. Plus, this second trip stood out more than the first due to a treacherous storm my family and I were caught in the night before our flight back to the United States.
On our way back from dinner, it started to downpour and thunder. The weather and visibility on the highway progressively got worse, so my uncle took a detour, and we landed up in a random alley, which started to flood. Water poured into our car, reaching ankle level. As we were stuck in this alley, I observed everyone’s reactions and how they dealt with this situation. My uncle, parents, and sister were trying to remain calm, while I was balled my eyes out in panic -- not realizing I was experiencing fortuna.
![]() |
| Uncontrollable fortuna |
After reading Machiavelli’s The Prince and learning about fortuna, I can look back and apply my experience to it. I would, no doubt, consider the flood itself as bad fortuna. It was a natural disaster that was beyond anyone’s control. It “display[ed] [its] might where there [was] no prepared strength to resist [it], and direct[ed] [its] onset where [it] [knew] there [was] neither barrier nor embankment to confine [it].” It resulted in some havoc -- state of panic and fear, flooded streets, traffic jams. It happened, and no one could’ve prevent it.
But just how I saw this situation as bad fortuna, locals saw this situation as good fortuna. As a third-world country, the Philippines is populated by the impoverished. During my visits to Manila, both children and adults roam the streets selling water, paper fans, and other little trinkets to help cover for food, clothing, and shelter. While my family and I were stuck in that alley, I saw locals with white, foamy suds on their heads and smiles on their faces. They were taking advantage of the abundance of water around them to shower, since this luxury is also scarce to them.
In The Prince, a good prince deals with fortuna well because he has virtu. In my flood experience, My uncle -- who in this situation, could be considered the “prince” -- rolled with the punches and was trying to make the best of the situation. He “conduct[ed] himself with caution and patience.” He took a risk trying to drive us out of the alley -- rising water and all. He is to thank for the safe return of my family and I back to the United States. Although one of the scariest experiences of my life, I was able to experience good and bad fortuna simultaneously.

Abigail,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the idea of how although you had to experience bad fortuna, you were able to experience good fortuna at the same time. The flood was definitely the bad fortuna. This natural disaster was beyond your control. There is no way you, or anyone could have predicted this. Just as you reacted, I probably would have been in a state of panic one the water rose up to my ankles.
On the other hand, you talk about the idea of good fortuna. Im sure at first glance you were confused as to why your Uncle was calm and able to deal with the situation. Since he is from that area, this was good fortuna to him just as you described. It allowed his community to have water to pursue in activities they do not get to engage in as often.
I think it is so interesting how you can connect your bad fortuna with the idea of seeing people around you experience a good fortuna.
The super fascinating part about this post was the way that there were two differing experiences going on. You were in the car thinking that the world was ending and you weren't gonna make it home safely, and yet outside everyone was rejoicing and celebrating the water. It really puts into perspective that fortuna is not "good" and "bad" but rather situational and unique to each person. I think that this is an enlightening experience to understand that every action or event is not the way that you perceive it, and that considering how it could be a positive thing for somebody else could help you deal with the situation and not take it so harshly. Thank you for sharing this experience with us.
ReplyDelete