Just a few
days before October 9th, the deadline to register to vote in the
November 2012 election, I wondered why I was being bombarded by students on
campus asking me to sign up to vote. If
I said “No,” when they asked me if I have registered to vote yet, I was asked immediately to do so. Every few hundred feet I went, a new student
holding a clip board had asked me if I had signed up to vote yet. I wondered why they were being so adamant
about getting everyone they could to sign up to vote.
Why did
they want me to vote so bad? When
thinking about this question, I realized that there is just one answer in just
one word. Contingency. Contingency was the reason that I was being
pushed to vote.
In lecture, we discussed that a
phenomenon or an event is contingent if it could have happened otherwise. With the outcome of the election being
contingent, it was important to get as many voters as possible, especially this
year.
Contingency
plays a very important role in elections and this year it has an even greater
impact. Usually, Michigan is said to be
more of a democratic state. But this
year, we have seen otherwise. Recently, in
some of the first state level polls, they have shown that Michigan has moved
from a “lean-Obama state to a swing state.”
By definition, a swing state is “a state of the United States in which
the Democratic and Republican candidates both have a good chance of winning.” In this sense, no single candidate or party
has overwhelming support in securing that state’s electoral college votes. I now understood why my vote would be so
important. With the outcome of elections
being contingent, my vote would actually matter.
Contingency
has only come into play recently in this election in Michigan. After the debate between Obama and Romney,
polls were released that showed a poor performance on Obama’s half but a strong
performance for Romney. In the poll, 72%
thought Romney did better than Obama.
Before the debate, polls showed that Obama was leading Romney by over
12% in Michigan. After the debate, the
polls showed that Obama was now leading Romney by only 3% in Michigan. With this outcome, Michigan was no longer
seen as a democratic state. Michigan is
now seen as a swing state, in which both candidates can fight for the win.
This
contingency showed to be very important for Romney. Initially, the
Romney campaign wanted to compete for Michigan. Romney was raised in Michigan and his father,
George Romney, was a governor here. To
try to get Michigan, Romney campaigned and ran television ads in Michigan. Although he made a continuous effort, the
polls kept showing poor results for Romney so it was said that he pretty much
gave up on Michigan. With the newest
poll, in which Romney is now only lead by Obama by 3%, the Romney campaign
strategy could show a change.
The answer
to my question was contingency. The
outcome of this election, and more importantly in Michigan, will be impacted by
every voter. With the new polls, both
candidates have an equal shot to win over Michigan and both will try to do
so. So I guess my point is, GO VOTE!


I totally agree with you that contingencies are crucial to any election. But when it comes to thinking about why we are encouraged to vote, I'd like to add some of the things I started thinking about this year. I agree that people obviously want to feel the election is something contingent, but voting is participating in something bigger than what we want. This was my first time voting (as I'm sure it was everyones in our class) so a lot of new insight has come into my life on this particular issue. Here are two of my main sources of enlightenment I'd like to share.
ReplyDelete1. Voting because it's an obligation. I think there are certain things we can count as obligations for our country, and this is one of them. The draft no longer exists so fighting for our country is no longer coerced. We, as American citizens, are a lot less mandated to do things than we were in the past and in comparison with people of other countries. As a token of thanks for the protection and rights we get just by living here, I think of voting as an obligation. The least we can do is participate in our government. To make things fair and make our voices heard, we are obligated to cast a vote.
2. Voting because we can. We've come really far with civil rights in this country, and on a lot of levels, we forget that. I know I don't stop to think that voting is a RIGHT. Decades ago I wouldn't have been allowed to cast a vote solely because I'm a woman. I felt that I needed to vote because my ancestors fought in order to let me. I know one of my sister's black friends told her "I am just thinking about all the people who had dogs stuck on them so that I could have the opportunity to vote." We should also keep that in mind.
I admit that when the pressure to vote started I also wasn't interested in being harassed on the diag. But there are these reasons why voting has come to actually mean something to me. If we step outside of our own wants and the statistics of an election, voting has us feel like we are AMERICAN again.