First, a Hobbesian state of nature requires a natural self-interest. According to an article
on helium.com, humans have an innate
sense of self-interest. We are driven to perform even good deeds to others,
like helping an elderly lady cross the street, out of our own innate desire to
avoid guilty feelings for not making the right choice.
| Used under free public domain http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=22619&picture=the-old-photo-old-lady |
Americans also have a sense of equality, a State of Nature trait. We can choose what to eat, what to wear, and what job we want to pursue. Some may argue that certain people, through predestination, have certain advantages over others. Although some people are born richer, it doesn’t prevent a lower-class citizen from rising the social ladder and gaining wealth. Although some children go to better high schools than others, it doesn’t mean the children at less prestigious schools can’t work hard and gain admission to prestigious universities. At the end of the day, everyone is given equality in the sense that they can all hope for “the American dream”.
Next, comes the State of Nature’s fear of violent death.
It’s not necessarily true that Americans directly fear a violent death --although
given news stories about violent crimes, it’s quite possible that they do—it’s
much more likely that their fear stems from a death similar to my previous
example from Mean Girls. The American fear of violent death is actually the
fear of failure, something that we as children are ingrained to believe as the
reason why competing and succeeding is so critical.
To fail in America is
terrifying. The effects, like being starving, ostracized, and homeless, are the
equivalent of dying. Without a life goal or purpose to pursue, we get the
impression that we’re nothing but a walking zombie, someone aimlessly existing
without a purpose. To avoid this thought process, humans strive their hardest
to attend the best universities and get bigger paychecks to avoid the looming
fate that could come with doing anything less than their best.
| Used under free public domain http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=2026&picture=financial-crisis |
Next comes quite possibly the most difficult argument to
make for this case: the fact that we live in a society without a definitive social
contract. It is true; there are rules in America, but does that necessarily
mean that we’re in a social contract? First off, for a person to be in a social
contract, he or she must come to the conclusion that being in a social contract is important and necessary. By doing this, he or she accepts the need for order. This doesn't indicate that every American citizen is in the social contract, though. The only person's thoughts that you know is your own. You cannot be sure that every person around you has come to the conclusion that a social contract is necessary. Because of this, it is rather likely that a significant amount of people are not actually abiding by the rules of the social contract because they don't know the dependency that they need on it.
The ramifications of this idea are actually quite
substantial. Maybe we’ve escaped the literal sense of the State of Nature;
maybe we’ve avoided the fear of dying, and maybe we can exist in a society
where some type of peace is established. But, does that mean anything if we
haven’t actually escaped the State of Nature in full? To an extent, yes, there is an existing option where people can choose to exit the State of Nature and abide by the rules in America. There's another side to this, though, because people don't have to play by the rules. If they haven't actively realized they need a social contract, they have the potential to act like they live in a society with no rules, creating a lack of peace. This lack of peace
that exists in this society, according to Hobbes, means the Social
Contract has not truly succeeded in protecting people. Americans still have the
potential to be murdered or raped, there’s still a sense of competition with
other people to succeed in school, jobs, and even asking out the girl across
the bar. There’s still an inner sense of selfishness that even existed within
Mother Theresa. At the end of the day, Americans, and humans for that matter,
never truly escaped the State of Nature; we merely shrouded ourselves in the
belief that because we live in a society with the option of accepting a social contract, we truly escaped the
brutish lifestyle faced by the people of the past.
Dear Schrammooo
ReplyDeleteI think that the Mean girls example that you stated is a fine example because it shows the stat of nature of women in a high school stand point. In this sate of nature no morality exists and it portrays that teenage girls are absolutely crazy.
http://www.fisherhouse.com/courses/2009/09/bryce-davis-concept-blog.html
I also liked your reference to the American Dream. This was apparent in a very known novel "Of Mice and Men". Anyways, the American Dream states that if you work hard then you are able to move your social standing. Today the American Dream has slightly changed because now it is material based.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream
This American Dream relates to the fear of death because it is the opposite of the fear of failure. The fear of failure is what keeps everyone going in this state of nature. I agree with what you said regarding that failing in America is a terrifying thought. AS purpose and a goal are completely necessary to work hard. The idea of a social contract is still apparent in society today, its is just whether we accept it or not. In some situations we choose to accept the theory because its to our benefit. i agree with you that we shaped our state of nature in a way that is most beneficial. The social contract was not always followed because the convent has been broken through crime. We have not entirely escaped the state of nature that Hobbes described, only partially.
I agree with you when you say that the state of nature, the fear of death translates directly to the fear of failing. I think that the fear of failure in our world is one of the biggest fears.
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of what I want to be when I am older, I automatically think what can I do to be successful. If I don’t make as much money as I would like, I failed. To me, that feels like dying. That applies to many other things such as having a nice house, a family, nice cars, and other materials. If I don’t get what I want, I fail. Failure is something that every human fears.
The fear of failure keeps this country going. We will do everything in our power to avoid failing. This is why we are so competitive and driven. Although I hate the feeling of failing I think it is good for our society. It keeps us motivated and driven. At the end of the day no one wants to fail.
Hobbesian state of nature requires a self-interest. I think this self-interest ties into not wanting to fail. Self-interest is our needs and desires. We wont be happy with ourselves and our self-interested mind if we fail.
Failing ties into Hobbes state of nature.
Schrammooo!
ReplyDeleteGreat piece. I actually enjoyed reading this one. Seemed very relevant and I made various connections to it.
Your interpretation of the state of nature in today's society was simple, yet made a lot of sense, especially when it came to speaking on the fear of violent death (failure). As I comment on this blog post, I'm taking into account every single word I type specifically so I can receive the max amount of credit from my GSI and get a good grade in the class. Success is what everyone wants to experience in life, and though we all have different views of what success may consist of, I'm sure a vast majority of people can agree on an idea of failing.
This whole idea of self-interest also ties directly into failing. As I stated before, I'm sitting here typing a blog comment, so later this week I can say "you worked hard, go reward yourself!" The sense of accomplishment is a good one, and its something most, if not all of us crave.
Again, great post. Keep it up.
Schramm000,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! You pose two interesting and thought-stimulating questions that I now have myself thinking about. It is also helpful that you briefly describe the components of Hobbes’s state of nature. It’s a nice refresher for students taking this course, as well as background information for other readers outside this course. I like that you took a different approach to the state of nature, since, from lecture, we mainly associate the state of nature with situations that look out for one’s self-interest, and they will do anything in their power to survive. We mainly relate the state of nature to apocalyptic movies or do-or-die situations, such as The Book of Eli or The Hunger Games.
With the points that you make in your post, I can agree with you that we actually have not escaped Hobbes’s state of nature. Living in America and creating a successful life is what’s expected, and it is just as competitive and brutal to get to our ideal lives. American citizens are equal in body and mind, and it is up to each citizen to decide how far they are willing to go to be the last one standing -- or at least attain a successful life, in this aspect.
We go through life not realizing we are still in a state of nature, and your post raises good points with concrete examples that demonstrate the state of nature in a different and insightful light. The state of nature is a complicated concept, but you have done a great job applying Hobbes to today’s American society and the movie Mean Girls.
SchrammOOO,
ReplyDeleteYou brought up a very interesting and thought provoking point when you said that the fear of dying has become a fear of failure. I see how you got to this conclusion and I would agree. See, back in the old days when you had to catch your own meal, failing WAS dying. If you didn't bring home enough caribou, your family would starve. Today, the caribou has been replaced with money, and death has been replaced with social isolation, disappointment, and strained family relations.
In my Zoology class, I learned that at the basis of all that organisms do is the need/instinct to reproduce and provide for their young. Even if they do not care for their young after they are born, an organism will still search for the best mate possible to ensure their offsprings' survival. Everything we do is centered around this need, even as humans today. We go to school and get good grades to eventually be able to live a comfortable life and provide for our families (unless we don't want kids). Failing in any of the intermediate steps is potentially failing our future families and essentially dying (that is - our genes will die if we cannot pass them on successfully)
So, I agree that we haven't escaped the fear of dying a violent death. What that violent death is though, has changed on the surface. We fear failing, because it means that one day we cannot pass on our genes, and essentially that our genes will die. I have one question though: where do laws fit into this? Does having a following laws mean that we are not in the state of nature? I have no answer.
Schrammooo,
ReplyDeleteVery good analysis of what you might call a current Hobbesian State of Nature. I agree that fear of violent death has essentially become outdated in American society, but fear of losing social status remains due to current perceptions of equality. The connections you make between life and social status and the arguments you pose that fear of losing social status causes us to remain in a Hobbesian State of Nature are good ones. The of the Hobbesian State of Nature that is natural self-interest is a very valid one, but I do not believe that fear of death (and in this case, lose of social status) in inherent in our state of nature. For this reason I would argue that we are not in a Hobbesian State of Nature today, rather, due to socially accepted norms, the large majority of people have put themselves in a state in which this fear governs their everyday lives. The "enlightened" few that recognize the ridiculousness of the social norms that have developed and resist conformity are able to remain in the state of nature that is rational self-interest and pursuit of happiness through means of production and mutually beneficial trade with those around them.
Your argument is very useful in identifying the problems that face society as a result of blind acceptance of the social norms that have developed in society today. Thanks for posting!