If
this is so, are all aspects of American life then liberal? or of liberalist
nature? I would argue though many aspects are, there is one specific area where
conservatism is found, and that is in the relationship between parents and
children.
The
ideas of conservatism I wish to talk about, stem from the political ideologies
of Edmund Burke. Conservatism is defined as, “a
political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social
institutions,” and in the relationship between parents and children in society,
this notion of conservatism holds strong.
In
society we expect parents to discipline their children. We have specific
expectations about how a child should behave. These expectations have stemmed
from long standing traditions that haven’t changed much over time. We still
believe that children are supposed to be quiet, kind, respectful, able to
share, and be polite. They are not supposed to have tantrums in public, or
disrespect elders in any way. If a child does not live up to these standards,
they are often seen as rude, unruly, and are ostracized from their peers, and
rejected by adults. Furthermore, the parents of these children are then seen as
unable to discipline their children, and as bad parents. Edmund Burke would
argue that this basic relationship between parents and kids must be conservative in order for
society to function smoothly. This idea is deeply rooted in traditional social
institutions, that if children were left to run-a-muk, there would be chaos in
society, and children would grow up not learning important lessons, and skills,
that are needed for society to prosper.
One
may ask then… what about parents who let their children do as they please? Parents
who, in a sense are very “liberal” in their parenting and don’t display much
discipline or authoritative demands onto their children. Are they still
conservative? The answer is yes. No matter how liberal ones parent or guardian
is, he or she is still part of an unequal relationship with their children. It
is a parent’s responsibility to watch over their child, and make decisions for
it. Take a baby; a parent must feed it, put it to bed, and sooth its cries.
Little babies are unable to take care of themselves, therefore, they must have
someone watching over them. It is a tradition that has been passed on
throughout the years, that is necessary for the next generation to survive. If
a parent said to his child, “ok baby you have the decision to eat whatever you want”,
a very liberalist idea, the child would have no idea what would be good for him
or not good for him, or if he was young enough, he may not even have the
ability to get to food, therefore leading to potential harm to the child. This
unequal relationship, starting young, creates an authoritative bond that only
grows over time. No matter how entirely liberal a parent is, they still must
look over, and care for their child, which in turn creates this conservative
relationship.
As
children grow, parents begin to use what Edmund Burke would constitute as regulated freedom, in order to keep their
children safe, keep them in line, and gain trust with them, so as the children
matures, they can be allotted more liberties. This idea of regulated freedom is
defined as, liberty and choice being
necessary and good, but only if it regulated by an authority figure.
Lets
look an example
Pretend
a child gets a car. They technically have the liberty to drive it. However, the
authoritarian figure (the parents) place regulations on the child’s liberty to
drive the car; saying that the child is only allowed to drive the car if he
drives it safely, and drives it when the parent says it’s ok.
Now,
lets say that these conditions are not seen as fair in the child’s eyes, and he
wants to discuses a sort of Constitution, and His Rights with the car, now that
he is old enough to drive it, and has acquired his license.
Burke
would say that this is, “ an act of ignorance” on the child’s part. He would
say that the parents are in the right in placing regulations on the child’s
liberty to drive the car, due to the fact that his parents have been regulating
their children for years, and it has lead to a great many good members of
society.
Well
then… what if this teenager decides to revolt against his parents, then coerces
the rest of the teenagers in society to revolt. What would then happen? Well
according to conservatist ideas, it is mostly likely be the case, that after
they revolted, and were seemingly on the same playing field as their parents,
they would be confused in manners like paying bills, taking care of the house,
going to work, etc. and society would be unable to function at an optional
level.
Therefore,
Burkes notion of regulated liberty and conservatism is inherently necessary for
a not only a child’s safety, but also for society to work and function
properly. The conservatism notion that a revolt just leads to chaos can be
proved inherently when thinking through what would happen to society if
teenagers indeed revolted.
Edmund
Burke’s ideas of conservatism may not be relevant in today’s political
structure, as traditional authoritarian government has been overshadowed by
liberalism and CHANGE. But, in respect to the relationship between children and
their parents, his conservative notions continue to hold true, and will most
likely continue on throughout time, as this type of relationship is a necessity
for our society to prosper and function optimally in the future.
Samantha,
ReplyDeleteThis was a very thought provoking blog post. I would have never associated parenting with the works of Edmund Burke.
In regards to the societal standards that we hold all parents, I feel that often it is much more difficult especially in a world as advanced as ours. The problems that arise with developed technology as well as progressed ideas, the children of this generation face a lot more problems then I could ever imagine facing as a child. So while I do understand the annoyance of sitting behind a screaming child on a lengthy flight to france, I can empathize with the parent who faces the extremely difficult societal standards.
One fundamental idea that I would disagree with however is the concept that liberalism is confined to political ideology. I feel that especially in a society as progressive as ours, that the conservative nature of parenting has also been pushing left over time. The idea that this authoritative relationship holds over time from birth to adulthood and thus creates a conservative nature of parenting when equated to the state of government turns out false. Despite the fact that our nation was built upon much more conservative ideas, the relationship between the citizens and government has changed over time to a much more liberal government despite it's authoritative beginnings.
Overall this was a well thought out post that kept me intrigued.
Malini
The topic of the relationship between parents and children is one that I have pondered before (probably in indignation because my parents told me to do something), and you bring a good light to the contrast of how parents control their children, but we as a society would not like it if a government tried to do this to us. This, I believe, is where the idea of paternalism comes from, because parents (I suppose especially fathers, at one point) make decisions for their children because they claim to know what is good for them. Children, on the other hand, may revolt, but in the end they do what they parents say, because they rely on their parents for basic things that they need, like food, clothing, shelter, and love. This could be used to argue for why a paternalistic model of government would be a negative thing, because if the government made decisions for the people and gave them everything they needed, they might not be happy with the decisions the government makes, but have no voice in the say because they rely on the government for necessities and thus give up parts or all of their free will to this authoritarian power.
ReplyDeleteI think though, that over the years, people have stopped having such an authoritarian parenting style, and have started leaning more towards the authoritative parenting style (http://psychology.about.com/od/developmentalpsychology/a/parenting-style.htm), which involves regulated freedom, like you mentioned. This is an improvement to the authoritarian style, it seems, because in general, the authoritative style of parenting produces happier, more productive children. Maybe this means that parents should give their children regulation and direction, but increasing freedoms in order to prepare them for the freedom of adulthood afforded to us in America.
I think you made a really fascinating engagement of practical applications of liberal and conservative ideologies. By taking them outside of the expected political realm, you show a level of deeper thinking towards the two ideologies. While I agree that a parent's authority over their children is conservative in nature, I actually see the process of a child growing and maturing as liberal in nature. Liberalism as a political ideology advocates ongoing social progress through reform and change, particularly through litigation. As a child ages, the rules their parents set and expect them to obey morph and eventually lessen. The children are over time prepared to take on more responsibilities, and are less bound by petty rules like curfews or finishing the vegetables on their plate.
ReplyDeleteSamantha,
ReplyDeleteI found this very interesting. It really helped me to understand Burke's idea of conservatism even better than before. I never would have thought about parenting as a conservative factor. It's a great way to relate confusing texts to real life for better understand. I found your hypothetical scenario very interesting and captivating as well.
I agree with you in that liberalism dominates most of modern society while tradition is maintained in parenting. Obama runs his campaign on the idea of changing the future, but over the last four years there hasn't been much change unfortunately.
When you wrote about conservatism vs. liberalism according to the childcare of babies I found that the most interesting and effective. Traditionally a parent of some kind (legal guardian or birth parents) have taken care of their children using the same methods for as long as we can remember. Babies need to be properly fed, properly clothed, sufficient sleep, and have their health monitored. I believe that we would not be able to survive without these conservative traditions. If one day a parent decided "no, I'm going to change the way I take care of my child" I'm not quite sure if the child would be as well off as the other who are taken care of through traditions.
One thing I do need to identify in your post is how liberalism doesn't work in parenting. I think that as a child grows older, for example in their teenage years, parents allow more room for the child to make their own decisions. Especially now in college, I am completely free to do as I please as a result of their parenting changing as I got older. But I would like to think that I make good decisions and am successful today because of their conservative parenting when I was younger.
Overall I found your post very engaging and I enjoyed reading it. This sentence in the end of your post was the most powerful "Therefore, Burkes notion of regulated liberty and conservatism is inherently necessary for a not only a child’s safety, but also for society to work and function properly." because if sums up all of your ideas. I think you hit Burke spot on because you showed how the conservative parenting affects society as a whole. Great job!