In the short YouTube video that we watched in class
discussion, Slavoj Ziezek ended the portion by saying, “Today we must ask: how
to rethink the critique of the political economy.” This statement followed his opinion of the
ineffectiveness of our current system of welfare. Ziezek doesn’t think that our
increase in giving to the lower class actually accomplishes any positive
outcomes. His argument is that, if anything, there is an increase in the
inequality among our society through this “welfare solution.” *
Let’s look at one of the greatest issues of the 21st
century: economic inequality. The growing
issue with the “top 1%” of the nation has alerted the public’s attention to the
devastating economic inequality that exists in America. As a result, the “Occupy Wall Street” movement broke out, causing long protests
against this economic inequality. Now that everyone is aware of this
significant problem in the United States, what the hell is our nation going to
do about it?
Going back to Ziezek’s argument about giving to those less
fortunate, his reasoning is that a “charitable” * mindset will not save America
nor bring equality to the nation. Let’s look at it in this way: if you are to
give money and food to a poor man, you will relieve him of that current
suffering. At the same time, your charity reflects your ability to give
something to him because you are clearly wealthier and better off than he. In
addition, what happens after that money and food is gone? All you have done is
give him money and food. You didn’t give him a job, education, or an
opportunity to change so that he can leave that state of “inequality” (his poor
standing in comparison to your wealth). In other words, our welfare solution to
economic inequality is to give, give, give to the less unfortunate; when does
that giving turn into equality? There is a famous saying, “You can give a man
fish, and when you leave he will starve. Or you can teach the man to fish and
he can support himself.” In this welfare solution America’s solution is to
either allow the poor to starve or continue to feed the poor. But in both cases,
the poor doesn’t become empowered! So how the hell is this a solution for
economic equality?
Let’s move away from this welfare solution. Another concept
that our class previously discussed was Marx and Engel’s article about a
communist solution. If we want to restructure America into a nation that gives
equal opportunity at the occupational level (the main concern for this
communist change), we might have equality result in our current issue with the
wealth gap. But when we look at the Marxist concept, he contributes a great
deal of this occupational inequality to come from the competition that exists
in industry. He states that the issue is a result of capitalism. Theoretically
speaking, how shall our nation disable capitalism and competition (in regards
to the inequality of wealth)? Our current society supports a capitalistic
structure. I am not so sure that can easily change anytime soon (or that it
would even be a good idea). I think that in a “business-like” society, we
should use business-like solutions.
I have recently been taught about the concept of social entrepreneurship.
I suppose I knew that this idea existed but I never knew a whole about it nor
did I really think about its productiveness in the United States. Social entrepreneurship
is the concept of using business ideas to create projects that benefit the
socioeconomic state of some community. The project or business creates revenue
for that community, challenges people to create creative projects for the well
being of others, and it allows those who benefit economically from the project
to be proactive in changing their economic inequalities. This idea still allows
us to “give money and food” to the poor man*; but we also help him improve his
way of life through something that gives him a way to no longer be unequal from
the wealthy man. But with this concept, we must keep a few things in mind. For
example, even if we aim for equality, we can’t measure it by a monetary value.
If the poor man is able to no longer receive the monetary assistance from those
wealthier than he, it doesn’t necessarily mean that he is now as rich as they
are. The goal here is to close that “wealth gap” to an extent so there is not
such a significant distinction between those who doesn’t even have food and
those who have everything imaginable. And secondly, we have to assume that the
poor man wants to change this inequality. Not everyone wants to change, and
sometimes it’s a problem when we try to give to those who simply want to
easiest, simplest way to barely survive. For that situation, I simply don’t
have a solution. Lastly, social entrepreneurship could mean endless things. In
some cases it could be the creation of actual businesses or just an occupation
in another business. I am not defining it as something specifically; I also don’t
known if it is even a realistic solution.
I present these arguments and concepts as important issues
that we should all be thinking about. And, believe it or not, one of you has a
solution that might just work. So think about it.
Notes:
*welfare solution is just a term I am using to describe the use to increased welfare (monetary and otherwise)
*Charitable meaning the rich giving to the poor
*poor man is not meant to be used in any offensive or discriminating manner. It simply indicated his economic standing only.
References:
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAMbpQ8J7g
Photo: http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/ap_occupy_wall_street_dm_120917_wg.jpg
I first of all applaud you on taking up such a controversial topic; I thought you presented your argument with poise, and liked that you didn't seem to spare substance under the guise of remaining politically correct.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up in a very conservative household, I have heard this argument a million times. "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day..." at times I wondered if this was the motto of conservative America, due to the amount of times I had heard it from my parents. When transitioning from small town, West Michigan living to Ann Arbor: arguably the most liberal city in the midwest, i was excited. Excited to form my new ideas on humanity. Excited to venture out from under the paradigm that had been mine simply because it had been my parents. I can honestly say that after two years in this wonderful city I have done that, and have occasionally adopted an idea that would not have been readily accepted by the neo-conservative Jake I was raised to be, but as a whole, I cannot forlorn this exact saying. It makes sense, and I dont see any theory on the other side that deals with this issue.
I think you even further hit the nail on the head when you brought up "poor mans" desire to change this inequality. This is the real problem, and I love that you caught it.
Overall, this was an excellent post, and it made me think!
Hannah,
ReplyDeleteI love that you addressed this issue. I have always found this topic to be quite interesting, mostly because I don't necessarily agree with it. Ziezek's argument that you mentioned about giving to those less fortunate, and that his reasoning was that a charitable mindset will not save America nor bring equality to the nation. I don't agree with his argument because giving to the less fortunate doesn't mean that you're preventing nation wide equality. Some people are less fortunate because they do not have the equal opportunities that others have. We already live in a nation that offers opportunities that are not proposed to all. The famous saying, “You can give a man fish, and when you leave he will starve. Or you can teach the man to fish and he can support himself.” You can teach a man to fish but how about if the man doesn't have the right supplies to fish. I think that giving a man a fish is the start to opening doors of opportunity to the person.
I also see it from that view point as well. I think this topic is hard to argue because there is really a level of "middle ground" (so to speak) that has to be met in order for either argument to really work. i mean, if a man doesn't have the materials to fish, if would be alright to give those materials and the knowledge of fishing to the man; on the contrary, it would be wrong to simply give him fish. I guess it all depends on how it's handled.
Delete